8 Tips for Attending a Conference
Attending business or trade shows is a great way to connect with businesses, network and learn new skills. Here are some of my tips to help you prepare for your next conference.
1 Plan ahead. Preparing ahead is so important. as time spent preparing and planning will help to ensure you arrive in a calm, organised and timely manner. Time spent planning your travel and accommodation will also help to make sure you find the most cost-effective options.
2. Study the agenda. Have a plan for the day to make the most of your time. Plan which seminars you will be attending, and check who is attending. Many conferences have social media accounts specifically for the event, which provides a great opportunity to connect with businesses prior to the event.
3. Print your tickets. Another option is to download to your phone. However, don’t forget to have the image of the tickets saved in an option that does not rely on access to the internet. As there may not be a connection at the entrance / registration area.
4. Business cards. Remember to take a good supply.
5. Arrival at the Venue. Arrive early to avoid spending time in a queue at registration, and to maximise your time at the event.
6. Event Venue. Familiarise yourself with the layout of the event to save time and ensure you are in the right place at the right time.
During the Conference
7. Take Notes. Write notes on the back of business cards as a reminder when following up at a later date. Or if you prefer a digital option use a system such as Evernote to make notes, creating a notebook specifically for the conference.
After the Conference
8. Follow up. Follow up on connections made, ideally the day after the conference whilst it is still fresh in everyone’s mind.
Thank you for reading.
Anne Clarkson of Strawberry Office provides flexible administrative support services to small businesses. If you would like help with planning your next visit to a conference or business event, contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a free Discovery Call to discuss how I can help you.